The health of all of us is being compromised by a flood of unhealthy food, pouring out of our highstreets, our supermarket shelves and our school canteens. Millions are being spent on advertising unhealthy food making sure it plays a starring role in young people’s minds. As a result the health of 3.3 million children is now at risk from overweight and obesity and the UK has the worst childhood obesity rates in Western Europe.
To make it worse; where you live has an impact on your health - the less well off you are the more likely you are to have obesity. We don’t think that’s right. We want equal access to affordable and nutritious food, but right now, over a million children don't. Bite Back 2030 exists to change that.
We set out to deliver change by:
- Connecting young people to Bite Back 2030, our mission and each other
- Sharing and empowering young people with the tools, skills and support they need to drive change
- Putting young people at the heart of Bite Back 2030, ensuring it is youth-led and has a network to tap into and build from
- Ensuring there is a sustainable framework and training programme that can be replicated year on year and disseminated to local authorities, youth groups, etc
- Sharing a new narrative that reaches new audiences and convinces them to take action on obesity
- Arming young people with the facts about our food system
- Creating unique opportunities for young people to engage with decision makers.
- Ensuring the voices of young people are heard in the media and beyond
- Delivering disruptive and compelling campaigns
Co-creation is at our heart
To help young people fuel our movement, we must create with them, not for them. Co-creation with young people is what drives the movement forward, accelerating the change we are working towards.