We're Hiring - Head of Campaigns
HEAD OF CAMPAIGNS
Join a creative, agile team empowering exceptional teenage activists to make the food system healthier and fairer. Nurture their disruptive, youth-led campaigns to drive reform in regulation and business practice. Leverage our unique mix of supporters, partnerships and collaborations like co-founder Jamie Oliver to turbo charge impact. Join us as our first Head of Campaigns at the beginning of our 10-year journey to grow a youth-led movement to give every young person a healthy future no matter where they live.
Bite Back 2030 is building a youth-led movement for a healthier, fairer food system. Our goal is to halve childhood obesity by 2030.
Young people today are consuming too much unhealthy food, processed food, snacks, soft drinks and takeaways, and this is especially prevalent with young people from poorer backgrounds because unhealthy food is cheap and easy to access. 3.3m young people under the age of 18 are overweight or have obesity and rates among our poorest are double those of our wealthiest young people.
Covid-19 has only further served to highlight the injustices in the food system and sharpen the focus on the impact obesity has on health outcomes. There is a political moment now to accelerate change.
We believe young people are the key voice in driving this change in our food system. It is a really exciting time to join the organisation - we are still a start-up but with ambitious plans for growth and impact.
Co-founded by Jamie Oliver and launched in October 2019, our Youth Board have already led creative, high impact campaigns on a range of issues including Free School Meals, a 9pm watershed on junk food advertising and the upcoming Trade Deals. This summer, 77 new youth leaders joined our movement and we plan to recruit, train and support 1,000 young people over the next three years to deliver high impact national and local campaigns.
We are now seeking an exceptional individual to join as Head of Campaigns reporting to the CEO. You will collaborate with our Head of Alliance and Head of Communications. We are a small, agile team of 10 aiming to make a big impact on the streets, schools and screens where our young people live. We are impact and youth-led, using creative, content-led campaigns and coalitions to achieve our goals.
Working directly with our amazing Youth Leaders you will identify the opportunities where Bite Back 2030 can drive real impact through creative, youth-led campaigns. You will then work with them and our team, content and coalition partners to execute and deliver those campaigns.
We are at the start of our 10-year journey so our campaigns also need to capture the public imagination and drive PR and media interest, as well as social media engagement so they contribute to building a movement. They can also leverage our team of celebrity Ambassadors to amplify the voice and impact of our young people.
The Head of Campaigns will develop and deliver youth-led, content-driven campaigns that drive impact. Key responsibilities include:
- Growth and impact: take our youth-led campaigning to the next level using our unique assets, staying youth-led, evidence-based, agile, entrepreneurial, creative and highly strategic, adding distinct value to the childhood obesity landscape.
- Listen and lead: glean input from others, the Head of Campaigns will identify high-value campaigns and make the strategic assessment of which opportunities to pursue.
- Design and deliver: generate unique insights from young people to create youth-led, content-led disruptive campaigns that cut through in the media to drive change in government policy, business practice and public awareness and perception of the issue
- Enhance our assets: engage and support our youth leaders to lead campaigns which emphasise and hero the role of young people, building the reputation for impact of youth-led campaigning in this space
- Inspire and steward relationships with agencies, digital and policy partners to generate new relationships, in-kind support and opportunities to enhance our growth and impact
- Keep learning: monitor and review impact of campaigns to capture what makes youth-led campaigning successful
- Reach out and build relationships: create coalitions around key issues, working collaboratively at the highest levels with values-aligned organisations to achieve our goals
- Collaborate effectively: work across our Youth Board, Impact Board and team to coordinate and align our resources behind our campaigns to deliver as one team
- Line manage a Campaigns Manager initially with potential to grow the team as we build funding and impact
The ideal candidate would have the following experience and qualities:
- Exceptional strategic insight and judgement, assessing campaign goals, timing and tactics to know what campaigns will win and when
- Strong political aptitude; this leader understands how change happens and how to make it happen.
- Experience leading creative campaigns that cut through and lead to change, in particular leveraging digital and technology effectively
- Creative flair and proven track record of developing and commissioning high quality creative content (including on a tight budget)
- High ambition, low ego; the Head of Campaigns is motivated by large-scale impact, not personal notoriety.
- Supreme ability to motivate and manage others (young people, advocates, agents and celebrity ambassadors) to commit to action to achieve campaigns goals
- Experience building high-trust coalitions aligned around key goals
- Experience of delivering high-profile events and stunts
- Entrepreneurial energy and grit; a builder and a doer
- Clear and persuasive communicator.
- A great listener, the Head of Campaigns is eager to learn from others and nurture relationships.
- Enjoys working in and building small, flexible teams and empowering action by others.
- Organised, action-oriented and results-driven
- Passion for young people’s health, nutrition and social justice
This is not essential but it would be great to have someone who has:
- Experience of working with youth campaigners
- Experience of building grassroots movements
We are open and flexible so this role can be a full-time role or can flex depending on the availability and preference of the chosen candidate.
Salary: £50k-£60k DOE
Please apply with a CV and Cover Letter explaining why you are a good candidate for this position.
- Applications close 9th November
- Initial interviews w/c 16th November
- Final interview w/c 23rd November
Please contact Operations at firstname.lastname@example.org for any more information.
Let’s take a look at some of our campaigns to date...
#donthidewhatsinside (January to March 2020)
FSM Campaign (April to June 202
9PM WATERSHED CAMPAIGN ON JUNK FOOD ADVERTISING (June-July 2020)
- Tasha’s video viewed 40k times on twitter and shared with No10
- Joint open letter published in The Guardian
- Coalition with Obesity Health Alliance lobbying for change
- Government announced 9pm watershed in Obesity Plan in July
#SAVEOURSTANDARDS TRADE DEALS CAMPAIGN (September-October 2020)