Join Our Movement! Applications Now Open to Join Our Youth Boards Across the UK
Do you want to change the world, starting from your local area? Are you interested to learn more about how the food system can be healthier and fairer for everyone? Keen to make new friends, and build your leadership, communication, and professional skills as part of a national movement? Are you aged 14-17? Then we’re looking for you!
Right now, by the age of just 11, the health of one in three children in the UK is already at risk from the food they eat.
That number doesn’t just come out of nowhere — it comes when the world we live in changes and our health isn’t a factor in that change.
Bite Back is a place where young people have a voice that is heard. We share our ideas and our own experiences and create powerful opportunities for change-makers.
We are looking for young people aged 14-17 to join our Youth Boards, campaigning for change across England. It offers the chance to be a part of unique training, development, and impact, making your voice heard with politicians and business leaders across the country. It’s totally free — all expenses are covered.
Applications are open now for our Local Youth Boards in Leeds, Liverpool and Sheffield — but hurry! The deadline is 11.59pm on Monday 18 July 2022. Click here to apply, or read on for more information.
Who is Bite Back 2030?
Bite Back 2030 is a youth-led movement that wants healthy, nutritious food to be an option for every family — at home, on the high street and at school. Because it matters to their health. Right now, Bite Back 2030 is led by a National Youth Board of 15 incredible teenagers like Christina and Dev, who in the last two years alone have won campaigns to ensure free school meals are available during the holidays, and junk food advertising will be ended online.
Last year, we were joined by 34 incredible youth campaigners in London and Birmingham, who are building big momentum around their campaigns to tackle junk food ads in their cities. Now, we want to expand across the UK — launching Local Youth Boards in Manchester, Sheffield, Leeds and Liverpool for the first time.
Zainab, age 15, London Youth Board.
What Will It Involve?
Those selected for our Youth Boards will be offered year-round training and support, including leadership, campaigns, media and professional development, in addition to mentorship from the Bite Back 2030 team and young people. It will kick off with a unique three day training from Sunday 21 - Wednesday 24 August 2022 — all expenses paid — followed by an end-of-year party in December, and graduation in summer 2023. As part of the programme, you’ll also have the opportunity to visit Jamie OIiver HQ in London!
In between, you’ll have check-ins every two weeks — both face-to-face and online — and training with the Bite Back 2030 team, to develop, run and hopefully win campaigns in your local area! This might involve:
- Speaking with or writing for local media — newspapers, radio or television.
- Meeting your local MP, mayor, councillors or business leaders.
- Organising a stunt to raise awareness of the issues you care about.
- Creating a petition to encourage your friends and family to get on board with a campaign.
- Making creative social media content to spread the word about your campaign — filming video, designing graphics, or writing blog posts.
- Doing research into the food system in your local community.
Who Should Apply?
We’re looking for young people aged 14-17 who are passionate about changing the world around them, and interested to learn more about how the food system can be healthier and fairer for everyone.
Do you believe every young person should have access to healthy and nutritious food? Want it to be easier to eat healthily in your local area, city, or across the UK? Do you have a personal story you want to tell those in power? Then we want to hear from you.
Applications from young people who are eligible for free school meals, or are from Black, Asian and minority ethnic backgrounds, are particularly welcomed. All expenses for the programme are covered, and if there are any adjustments you need that would make you more comfortable applying or participating, just reach out to us on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Edward, age 15, National Youth Board.
How Do I Apply?
We want to get to know you — so you’ll need to answer a few questions:
- Why do you want to join a Bite Back 2030 Youth Board?
- What strengths or skills do you think you would bring? Are you a great public speaker, or an eloquent writer? Do you have thorough research skills, or love to draw, paint, and create social media content? We welcome all talent at Bite Back 2030!
- What skills do you see yourself developing through joining Bite Back?
- At Bite Back 2030, we live by the values of being real, resilient, respectful, fresh, and energetic. Which of these do you most relate to and why?
- Is there anything else you’d like to tell us about why you’d be a good match for the Bite Back 2030 Youth Boards?
Each answer should be a maximum of 750 characters.
We’d also like you to record a short video (around 1 minute in length) telling us a bit about yourself and why you want to campaign with Bite Back 2030. Are there any issues you are really passionate about? If you prefer, you can submit a written answer for this.
Once you’ve prepared your answers, you can submit them by clicking here.
We’ll be in touch as soon as possible to let you know if you’re successful. In the meantime, please save Sunday 21 - Wednesday 24 August for the summer training programme!
Got a Question?