Head of Operations & Finance
Come and join Bite Back 2030!
Head of Operations and Finance
Duration: Full time, permanent.
Start date: ASAP.
Location: Flexible. This role will be required to travel to our London HQ at least once a month, but can work flexibly as per Bite Back 2030’s hybrid working policy.
Salary: £50,000 p/a, dependent on experience.
About Bite Back 2030
Be part of the creative and agile team behind Bite Back 2030’s exceptional teenage activists. Join us as our Head of Operations and Finance and contribute to a 10-year journey to help make the food system healthier and fairer and achieve our goal of halving childhood obesity by 2030.
Young people today are up against a flood of unhealthy food, pouring out of our highstreets, supermarkets and school canteens. As a result processed foods, snacks, soft drinks and takeaways are playing too big a role in their lives. Junk food is cheap and easy to access at a time when 3.3 million young people under the age of 18 have overweight or obesity. Rates among our poorest are double those of our wealthiest young people.
We believe young people are the key voice in driving this change in our food system, and are growing a movement of young people to raise their voice and drive impact. In the past two years, our National Youth Board — including incredible campaigners like Christina and Dev — have won campaigns to extend free school meals during the holiday, end junk food advertising online and before 9pm on TV, and to improve the quality of school food.
In 2021, we launched our first Local Youth Boards in London and Birmingham, who are calling on local authorities to end junk food advertising in their cities, and right now 500 pupils are running projects to improve their school food through our School Food Champions programme. In 2022, we will be launching Local Youth Boards and a Community Food Champions programme in Manchester, Sheffield, Liverpool and Leeds, seeking to recruit and train an inspiring cohort of young people to drive positive change for child health. It’s a really exciting time to join the organisation.
About the Role
We are seeking an experienced Head of Operations and Finance seeking a broad and challenging role, that will help shape and define the growth of Bite Back 2030 as it moves from start up to scale up.
The Head of Operations and Finance will be responsible for developing and implementing our Financial and Operational Strategy, reporting to the Campaigns Director. The appointee will work closely with the Leadership Team and CEO and draw on support from (and line manage) a HR & Alumni Manager and Administration Executive.
● Lead the financial, operations and HR functions of the charity, ensuring we are meeting our Charity Commission obligations
● Develop finance strategy to support Bite Back’s growth
● Lead and co-ordinate the annual budget-setting cycle to deliver the agreed financial strategy, working with each of the budget holders
● Take oversight of HR processes, including EDI, working closely with the HR and Alumni Manager on implementation and recruitment
● Lead the process of objective setting with our youth boards, team and leadership team
● Produce monthly management information and report to the Board and Leadership Team on the budget position, restricted funds, forecast and cashflow
● Lead the annual audit process
● Manage the financial and accounting system (currently using SAGE) and ensure that robust financial controls are in place and all statutory requirements are met
● Take responsibility for financial components of funding bids and grant reporting, maintaining financial records on specific projects and restricted funds
● Develop and deliver the resourcing plan for the charity as it scales, in line with the finance strategy
● Take responsibility for Bite Back’s policies and procedures, including GDPR, ensuring they are updated appropriately and staff are inducted and trained (excluding safeguarding)
● Take oversight of Bite Back’s CRM system, Salesforce, and ensure it is properly implemented across the charity
● Ensure Bite Back’s Finance, IT, Project Management and HR systems and platforms are effective, deliver value for money, and all necessary staff are trained and supported to use them.
● Oversee development of risk register and regular reviews, with an appropriate culture developed to manage risk
● Oversee Bite Back’s pensions, insurance, subscriptions, payroll and benefits arrangements and ensure they are run effectively
Required Skills and Experience:
● Relevant technical and accountancy skills and qualifications, including being a qualified accountant, ACA or equivalent, with experience of charitable activities
● Confident in using accounting software (we currently use SAGE)
● 5+ years leadership experience
● Strong analytical skills and ability to provide sound, financial advice
● Experience of leading operational improvement processes
● A self-starter who can manage projects end-to-end
● A high level of proficiency in building financial models on spreadsheets (we use G Suite Sheets)
● Outstanding organisational skills and clear communication
● Great people skills and the ability to build trusted relationships
● A passion for our mission
We are particularly interested in hearing from candidates from underrepresented backgrounds.
If you would like to apply for this position please send a CV and cover letter in Word format to email@example.com. Recruitment for this role is blind. The closing date for applications is Friday 10 June 2022. First interviews will take place on Wednesday 15th June.