Come and join Bite Back 2030!
Duration: Full time, six-month contract (with the potential to be extended).
Start date: ASAP
Salary: £24,000 - £26,000 per annum (+£2,000 if based in London)
Reporting to: Digital Manager.
Flexible. This role will be required to travel to our London HQ at least once a month, but can work flexibly as per Bite Back 2030’s hybrid working policy.
About Bite Back 2030
Be part of the creative and agile team behind Bite Back 2030’s exceptional teenage activists. Join us as our new Digital Executive and contribute to a 10-year journey to help make the food system healthier and fairer and achieve our goal of halving childhood obesity by 2030.
Young people today are up against a flood of unhealthy food, pouring out of our high streets, supermarkets and school canteens. As a result processed foods, snacks, soft drinks and takeaways are playing too big a role in their lives. Junk food is cheap and easy to access at a time when 3.3 million young people under the age of 18 have overweight or obesity. Rates among our poorest are double those of our wealthiest young people.
We believe young people are the key voice in driving this change in our food system, and are growing a movement of young people to raise their voice and drive impact. In the past two years, our National Youth Board — including incredible campaigners like Christina and Dev — have won campaigns to extend free school meals during the holiday, end junk food advertising online and before 9pm on TV, and to improve the quality of school food.
This year, we have grown our movement to 2,000+ young people driving change in their schools, communities, and cities in London, Birmingham, Peterborough, Sheffield, Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, Newcastle, Hull and beyond! Meanwhile, our digital army is growing, with 50,000+ digital supporters and 4 million+ digital engagements in 2022, with big plans to expand. It’s a really exciting time to join the organisation.
In 2023, we will be launching a new brand, and scaling our efforts to grow our digital army — launching a new website, driving greater numbers of digital campaign actions, and launching a rebrand to help grow our Gen Z audience.
The Digital Executive will play a key role in supporting our Digital Manager and the broader Digital Team to achieve these goals. They will help grow the impact of our campaigns by drafting compelling, powerful copy for our emails — keeping our supporter list of 30,000 people engaged and taking vital actions like signing petitions or emailing their MP in support of our campaigns. They will assist in building and scheduling emails, reporting on their performance, as well as supporting the Digital Manager in executing the email strategy. They will support the Digital Manager in creating compelling user journeys across website and emails which will involve adding content pages for our website, ensuring information is kept up to date, reporting on performance and implementing the website strategy.
Throughout this work they will champion the youth voice by collaborating with our young campaigners to create engaging, impactful content to use across our digital channels. They will also support efforts to help our Youth Boards, School Food Champions, and Community Food Champions, to create their own digital campaign actions (e.g. petitions) and drive signatures on these.
The Digital Executive will embed Gen Z insights within our digital team, advising on key social media and digital trends we should hop on, drafting engaging copy that resonates with our key audiences, working with our Youth Boards to gather their ideas, and advising the Visual Content Producer and Content and Social Media Manager on content creation for platforms like TikTok and Instagram Reels.
Finally, in conjunction with creating our new website we will also be launching paid activity on Google Ads to ensure our work is seen by as many people as possible. The insights provided by the Digital Executive will be used to identify the best strategy and phrases for online searches and the Digital Executive will support the Digital Manager in establishing this new activity. This will be an exciting opportunity to learn a lot more about this marketing area by seeing everything being created from the ground up and shaping what it will look like.
This is an entry-level role. The perfect candidate would love to write — perhaps having studied English at sixth form, college or university — and be obsessed with what makes Gen Z tick on digital channels. If you’re always on top of the latest TikTok trend, and want to use your communication and creative skills to help change the world for the better, we want to hear from you.
We are committed to increasing the diversity of our team and especially encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
- Advise on tactics to grow our Gen Z digital audience, including:
- Daily monitoring of social media trends, recommending opportunities we can jump on to increase reach and engagement.
- Conduct research into emerging trends in Gen Z social media use, youth activism, and digital campaigning.
- Assist with compiling wishlists and outreach to influencers and platforms with large Gen Z audiences.
- Advising on language and tone to appeal to Gen Z audiences.
- Assist in gathering feedback and ideas from our Youth Board on tactics to grow our Gen Z digital movement.
- Working with our broader digital team to make fun and engaging content to appeal to Gen Z.
- Assist with implementation of Bite Back 2030’s email strategy, including:
- Building and scheduling email marketing campaigns through SendGrid which will include building email journeys.
- Drafting compelling email marketing communications.
- Updating email contact data, with strong attention to detail.
- Reporting on key metrics including open rates and click-through rates, contributing to weekly and monthly reporting.
- Draft copy to appeal to both adult and Gen Z supporters on key digital channels, including:
- Collaborating with young campaigners on digital content and supporting them in telling their stories in the most powerful way across email marketing, including campaign emails and general newsletters.
- Website copy, including youth profiles, campaign pages and actions (e.g. petitions, email your MP etc), and general information.
- Social media posts, particularly across Instagram and TikTok.
- Video copy, subtitles and calls-to-action.
- Assist with maintaining the Bite Back 2030 website,
- Building content pages including campaign pages, news items, blogs and people pages.
- Supporting the Digital Manager in moving content from the old website to the new which will include updating pages and drafting new pages.
- Ensuring all content is kept up to date and relevant.
- Monitoring key metrics and KPIs and reporting regularly on them.
- Assist with the setup of Google Ads for search activity
- Assist in identification of key relevant campaign areas, audiences, key phrases to target with paid activity.
- Support the setting up of the account.
- Monitor key metrics and ensure the account is performing well.
- Assist in empowering our young people to create their own digital campaign actions (e.g. petitions) and driving audiences for these in their local communities. This might involve:
- Supporting young people to draft copy and build action pages.
- Assisting with strategies to encourage the public to take action — e.g. signing petitions, emailing their MP, tweeting.
- Supporting competitions to incentivise young people to drive actions.
- Monitor our general enquiries email inbox, responding to emails, redirecting urgent opportunities for our young campaigners to relevant team members and building a positive relationship with our public supporters.
- Exceptional English-language copy-writing skills.
- Strong attention to detail and proof-reading skills.
- Strong knowledge of how to engage a British Gen Z audience online — e.g. through social media, website, and email communications — and able to adapt writing style to match this tone of voice.
- Happy working in a fast-paced and often reactive campaigning environment, able to manage multiple tasks and manage time effectively to meet deadlines.
- Good communication skills, working closely with your line manager to flag where you need support, training, or help managing your workload.
- Passionate about our mission to ensure every young person has access to healthy and nutritious food, no matter where they live.
- Responds positively to constructive feedback — we are all learning!
We don’t expect you to have all of the below skills — but the ideal candidate would have experience in 2+ of the following areas.
- Drafting copy for social media, email-marketing, or website communications.
- Creating content for digital channels — e.g. making TikToks, designing Instagram posts, writing email newsletters.
- Youth activism or campaigning.
- Using email marketing tools (e.g. MailChimp, SendGrid etc) to build and schedule email campaigns.
- Using content management tools to build and maintain websites.
- Google Ads and SEO knowledge
- Conducting outreach to social media or other digital influencers.
- Social media trend monitoring.
This experience could be professional, through volunteering projects, or in your spare time.
To apply, please submit your CV and cover letter (maximum two pages) to email@example.com by 23:59 on Sunday 19 February.
- Applications close at 23:59 on Sunday 19 February.
- Interviews, including a written task, will be held between Monday 27 February and Wednesday 8 March.
- There may be an additional round of interviews to follow this.
For any guidance around the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.