Communications Manager Job Opening
Be part of the creative and agile team behind Bite Back 2030’s exceptional teenage activists. Join us as our Communications Manager and contribute to a 10-year journey to help make the food system healthier and fairer and achieve our goal of halving childhood obesity by 2030.
Young people today are up against a flood of unhealthy food, pouring out of our high streets, supermarkets and school canteens. As a result processed foods, snacks, soft drinks and takeaways, are playing too big a role in their lives. Junk food is cheap and easy to access at a time when 3.3m young people under the age of 18 have overweight or obesity. Rates among our poorest are double those of our wealthiest young people.
Covid-19 has only further served to highlight the injustices in the food system and sharpen the focus on the impact obesity has on health outcomes. There is a political moment now to accelerate change.
We believe young people are the key voice in driving this change in our food system. It is a really exciting time to join the organisation - we are still a start-up but with ambitious plans for growth and impact.
Co-founded by Jamie Oliver and launched in October 2019, our Youth Board have already featured widely in the media campaigning on a range of issues including Free School Meals, a 9pm watershed on junk food advertising and the upcoming Trade Deals. This summer, 77 new youth leaders joined our movement and we plan to recruit, train and support 1,000 young people over the next three years to deliver high impact national and local campaigns. Their stories are the backbone of our content.
We are now seeking a creative, self-motivated individual to join as Communications Manager reporting to the Director of Communications. You will collaborate across our small and agile team and work closely with our young activists to raise the profile of Bite Back. We are impact and youth-led, using creative, content-led campaigns and coalitions to achieve our goals.
We are at the start of our 10-year journey but have developed a compelling brand and a strong narrative. Our campaigns must continue to capture the public imagination and drive PR and media interest so they contribute to building our movement. We also have a team of celebrity Ambassadors that work with us to amplify the voice and impact of our young people.
About the Job
The Communications Manager will be critical to creating and delivering comms to a broad range of stakeholders. You will be a key influence over the Bite Back brand and will provide editorial and creative support across the whole team. Key responsibilities include:
- Content creation including blogs, the weekly newsletter and collateral for events.
- Day to day management of the website including content and updates
- Events support, including planning and delivery
- Provision of editorial support across the team, including our youth leaders.
- First port of call for press enquiries
- Drafting of press releases, comments and briefing documents
- Monitoring media coverage and generating insight
- Acting as brand guardian on all external communications
- Audience analysis and tailored messaging
- Supporting with the management of charity Ambassadors
We are looking for someone with:
- A passion for young people’s health, nutrition and social justice
- A can-do attitude and a great sense of humour.
- Strong influencing skills
- Great communications skills and a proven record of building relationships across sectors.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Previous experience of engaging media and managing enquiries and responses.
- Experience of managing websites
- Creative flair and proven track record of developing and commissioning high-quality creative content (including on a tight budget)
Salary: £27,000-30,000 DOE
Contract type: Permanent
We are open and flexible so this role can be a full-time role or can flex depending on the availability and preference of the chosen candidate
- Applications close Monday 25th of January at 12pm
- Initial interviews w/c 1st February
Please contact Sara Zarkovic at firstname.lastname@example.org for any more information.